
After going through 10,000 hurdles of red tape to get to stay here (University of Stuttgart, Township of Vaihingen, State of Baden-Württemberg, German Federal Government, Student Coopertative Residence, German National Pension Fund, University of Waterloo to name a few...). Today I had to go through some red tape to leave! Apparently my rental agreement stated that I was staying until the end of August, 2006. When I arrived in September I apparently signed a contract that I didn't look over very carefully...must have been the jet lag or the fact that I DIDN'T SPEAK GERMAN VERY WELL!
So they told me "You can't go".
I said "I'm going".
They said "Ok, but it's going to cost you 325 Euros".
I said "Fine, I'll argue another day when I don't have to submit a report to my supervisor while writing my thesis and travelling to Karlsruhe".
Jetzt auf Deutsch...
Sie haben gesagt "Du kannst nicht gehen".
Ich habe gesagt "Ich gehe".
Sie haben gesagt "Ok, aber es wird dich 325 Euros kosten".
Ich habe gesagt "Klar, ich werde mit der Hausmeister sprechen ein andere Tag wann ich müß nicht so viel erledigen wie heute."
So I guess they love me here, because they didn't want me to leave!
As my family and friends back in Canada know already, what's there not to love!
No comments:
Post a Comment