By the modern art museum overlooking the old town
At night on the river
From Comburg Fortress
Infront of the Evangilical Church (as apose to the Catholic one)
Sunset on the river in Scwäbisch Hall
Scaling the walls of Rothenburg, 'this place wasn't so safe afterall!'
A display showing the tools of torture. The one on the left is for slowly crushing femurs.
Understandably, this made Sabine very sad. It was actually kind of depressing after a while in the torture museum.
On the way to the torture museum.
Some medieval town in the countryside

On Saturday I took a one hour train ride north to the town of Schwäbisch Hall where I have a friend that I met at the University of Waterloo. We travelled around the countryside. Considering 82 million people live in Germany, an area about the size of Montana, or a third of Ontario, there is a lot of nature. Unlike most of Canada, there is nowhere (that I have seen) you can go in Germany where there is not some visible human impact on the landscape (i.e. a bridge, terracing, orchards, trees planted in rows), but there is lots of natural spaces to enjoy. We also visited the medieval town of Rothenburg, which was really well restored and/or maintained over the years. We visited the museum of crime, also known as the museum of torture. After this I decided that if I live 800 years ago I would have taken my chances outside of the "safe" city walls rather than deal with the ridiculous and severe punishments of life on the inside...yeesh I heard Singapore or the middle east was bad!



1 comment:
pete, maybe you should do something about these spam comments :P
and I decided on the adress of my blog now: nilsole.blogspot.com
Post a Comment