We might have been the only fans that weren't soccer hooligans at this game! Germans are passionate Soccer fans!
The Wilhelma Zoo
This guy didn't make it to the South Pole with all the other Penguins this year
Culture Night in Stuttgart
I loved these 180 vertical degree photographs
The house of Architecture, Stuttgart
Impromptu comedic acting and singing. I thought this guy looked like Drew Carrey.
Unwinding after Culture night with a Radler in a cool bar
Trip to Bad Urach in the Schwäbisch Alb
The next day I took the train around the countryside south of Stuttgart and ended up on the edge of a very steep hilly region known as the Schwäbisch Alb. I found a castle and climbed up it pretending I was a Germanic warrior attacking the Romans around 500 AD (no really I did!). Maybe if I write another amateur novel I can incorporate this. Although it was a steep hard climb (nothing compared to Switzerland) I was totally rewarded by what I found. The castle was quite large at one time, with impressive, thick fortifications surrounding it. I tried to scale a wall for fun, like Robin Hood, but realized I left my grappling hook at home. All the while I was trying to figure out how that student health insurance plan I have works just in case. I wasn’t sure if it covers evacuations from medieval castles on mountainsides, you have to read the fine print! The inner courtyard was very serene with some trees, an old well (attesting to the importance of groundwater in ancient cultures), and one wall still standing. It occurred to me how strategic that well was to the defences of the castle, and how difficult it would have been for them to bore through 300 m of limestone bedrock to (where I guessed) the water table. This water supply would have allowed the people in the castle to water crops and animals within the walls perhaps too. It could also not be cut off or poisoned by the enemies from the outside since it drew water from deep within the mountain. No wonder they went through the trouble to dig so far down. At this point in thought, I was a little inspired about my master’s research. A reliable water supply is vital, so vital that all the walls, weapons and wealth in that castle would be futile without it.
Limstone Cliffs behind Bad Urach
This sign says "Wasserschutztgebiet" or "Watershed Protection Area".
This castle had to be explored!
View from the base of the castle with more steep limestone cliffs on the left
View of the Valley. Can you imaging Roman armies marching along here?
Has anyone seen "The Ring"? I couldn't look down the well!













No comments:
Post a Comment