Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What Deutsche Bahn does when the PA is broken

This morning I arrived at the underground S bahn station (fast city train) close to my house as usual. When I arrived I was surprised to hear a young man standing by the tracks shouting out what is normally announced over the Public Announcement speakers. I guess they were broken. This guy's job I guess is to travel around to stations where the speakers are broken and shout out the same information. "Caution. The next train travelling to Giesing is arriving..." What I found really funny and weird was this guy was using the exact voice that the computer usually generates. I guess it was a cue to let us know that he is now in the place of the computer. There seems to be hope for people who have lost their jobs to automation. When the computer breaks down someone gets a job, well, being a computer for the day. Look out computers, the humans are coming back! And we can do your job just as good as you!

1 comment:

Kristen Dawn said...

I love your perspective. Smiling at you.